The Source for Dysphagia
Since its first edition in 1996 advances in research have resulted in new treatment techniques and enhancements in the evaluation of patients with dysphagia. This edition, updated and expanded, provides new information in these areas. It also includes more teaching materials and photocopiable handouts. Most chapters contain significant revisions, such as:
- Patient and staff education materials on issues from gag reflex to why instrumental exams are needed;
- In-depth information on videofluoroscopic studies and how to perform and interpret them;
- A new framework for short-term goals and treatment objectives based on symptoms observed and the physiological cause of each symptom;
- A new chapter on special considerations in the ICU, including information on tracheotomies, ventilators, the blue dye test and suctioning;
- A new chapter on outcomes and efficiency data, including information to be used to document effectiveness of treatment.