The Source for Voice Disorders Adolescent & Adult
This high-quality resource provides evaluative tools, treatment ideas, and therapy tasks to help clients improve in voice therapy. It includes evaluative tools and therapy tasks for children aged 13yrs upward and adults with functional and/or medical voice disorders.
Organised to provide easy reference of a diagnosis with etiology, physiology, and corresponding recommendations for treatment it also provides an overview of anatomy and physiology of voice production for easy and quick review.
Descriptions, diagnostically useful information, and treatment suggestions provided for 23 voice disorders: 6 functional, 2 neurological and 15 organic.
More information below
This resource provides clinicians with evaluative tools, treatment ideas and therapy tasks to help clients improve in voice therapy sessions.
The resource starts with an overview of the anatomy and physiology of voice production. The chapter on voice evaluation includes terminology, rating scales, instrumental and noninstrumental assessment, and report writing. An overview of 23 voice disorders is given with etiology, presentation, and treatment/therapy suggestions. Topics include:
- Functional Voice Disorders: functional aphonia, paradoxical vocal fold movement (PVFM), muscle tension dysphonia (MTD) and more
- Neurological Voice Disorders: vocal fold paralysis and spasmodic dysphonia (SD)
- Organic Voice Pathologies: polyps and nodules, granuloma, reflux laryngitis, sulcus vocalis, papilloma, and cancer
- Gastro-Esophogeal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Neurological Conditions Affecting the Voice: pseudobulbar palsy, myasthenia gravis, essential tremor, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's Chorea, and more
Various treatment approaches are reviewed and specific exercises and therapy activities are provided for:
- vocal hygiene
- voice therapy theories and approaches (e.g., resonant voice therapy, laryngeal massage)
- therapy exercises/tasks
- physical exercises
Intervention pages are photocopiable or can be printed from the CD. These include:
- voice, respiration, and resonance exercise sheets
- evaluation tools
- voice handicap index
- example treatment plans
- sample protocols
- consent forms
- patient questionnaire
- educational handouts
For children 13 years of age to adult.