Stop the Pressure Game
Improve patient safety and care!
Developed by NHS England for their Stop the Pressure initiative, this training resource was created for anyone working in acute, community or social care.
It helps frontline staff improve their ability to recognise and reduce the risk of pressure ulcer formation, the causes and risk factors for pressure ulcers and preventative interventions including SSKIN.
More information below.
The following support documents are available:
WHAT IS THE AIM OF THE GAME?
To help your organisation improve patient safety and eliminate avoidable pressure ulcers. It helps health and social care professionals understand, recognise and minimise the risk of pressure ulcer formation.
WHAT ARE THE KEY MESSAGES?
- 95% of pressure ulcers are preventable!
- Changing what we do and how we do it can reduce or eliminate pressure ulcer development
- Actions, or lack of action can have a massive impact on patient wellbeing and long-term or short-term care
WHO SHOULD PLAY THE GAME?
All therapeutic, health and social care professionals working in acute, rehabilitation or community-based settings.
WHAT WILL PLAYERS LEARN?
- The causes, reasons and risk factors for pressure ulcers
- Preventative interventions including SSKIN
- Pressure ulcer management
DEVELOPED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH: NHS England for their Stop the Pressure initiative
- 2-12 players
- 45-60 minutes
- No specialist facilitator required
1,300+ new ulcers are reported each month (Source NHS Digital) with up to 200,000 people developing a new pressure ulcer in 2017/18 (Guest et al 2017). Treating pressure ulcers costs the NHS more than £1.4 million every day (Guest et al 2017). Pressure ulcers can have a profound impact on the overall wellbeing of patients and can be both painful and debilitating (Moore et al 2009). Preventing them improves care for all vulnerable patients.