This DVD is from a series of innovative resource packs using archive footage accompanied by a wealth of relevant information, illustrated notes and a manual filled with ideas and resources for activities relating to the theme. Winner of the Outstanding Dementia Care Product at the 2013 National Dementia Care Awards.
Each DVD features 6 films of 4 minutes, having key points where the film is intended to be paused and then used with the accompanying manual to facilitate a reminiscence activity. The theme of this resource is "fetes, fairs and fireworks", the contents include:
"My best investment in activity resources... ever!"Adult Provision Manager, Elderly Persons' Home"You think you've lost those memories but you just need a trigger."Dementia Café Participant"Format is simple, booklet very useful, extremely happy... we use them regularly."Activities Co-ordinator, BUPA"Has a tangible effect on mood."University of Bradford Dementia Group"It's just FUN!!"Occupational Therapist, St. Leonard's Hospice
- Join the Parade (1927): Here we see a lively procession of floats, marching bands and people in fancy dress and comical costumes. One young girl is then crowned Carnival Queen with a garland of flowers.
- Come to the Carnival (1958): Here we see people of all ages having a wonderful day out at the carnival, which includes a variety of displays and performances.
- Light up the Sky (1952): We see three children hurriedly gathering round the parcel of fireworks their father has brought home. The boy quickly abandons his school books and his young sisters light sparklers from the fireplace. Then, with the fireworks spread on a tray and everyone wrapped up warm, the family head out to enjoy their display by the glow of a great roaring bonfire.
- Calypso Time (1971): We follow a vibrant procession of people in elaborate Afro-Caribbean costumes, dancing their way through the park to the sound of steel drums*. The Carnival Queen stands proudly in her full regalia.
- Children’s Day (1959): Here we see the lively procession of decorated floats, led by the Gala Queen, making its way through the city’s streets. At the park, the crowds enjoy all kinds of entertainment, including displays of country dancing.
- All the Fun of the Fair (1959): This film shows families and teenagers walking around amongst the stalls, buying balloons and ice creams. Then, as dusk falls, they enjoy all the fun of the fair on brightly lit rides.
- Additional Information