Phonological Assessment Battery (PhAB)
The Phonological Assessment Battery is for children aged 6-14 years who have significant phonological difficulties and who require specific help in processing sounds in spoken language.
Includes six standardised tests: Alliteration, Naming Speed, Rhyme, Spoonerisms, Fluency, Non-Word Reading
More information below.
Developed by researchers and psychologists, led by University College London, the Phonological Assessment Battery was created to identify children 6-14yrs who have significant phonological difficulties and who need special help in processing sounds in spoken language.
The tool can be used with bilingual or ESOL children and includes data on studies completed for those with dyslexia.
Six standardised tests:
- The Alliteration Test – assesses a child’s ability to isolate the initial sounds in single syllable words.
- The Naming Speed Tests – assesses a child’s speed of phonological production. These tests include the Picture Naming Test and the Digit Naming Test.
- The Rhyme Test – assesses a child’s ability to identify the rhyme in single syllable words.
- The Spoonerisms Test – assesses whether a child can segment single syllable words and then synthesize the segments to provide new words or word combinations.
- The Fluency Tests – assesses a child’s retrieval of phonological information from long-term memory.
- The Non-Word Reading Test – assesses a child’s ability to decode letter strings.
PhAB can also be used to inform further teaching or intervention programmes to help with specific phonological difficulties.
Although this tool covers 6-14yrs, please note that the new PhAB2 available (see item code 56556) which has specific targeted testing for 5-6 and 7-11 year olds, providing more sensitive tests and a greater understanding of a child's phonological strengths and weaknesses.
- HearBuilder Collection: Professional Edition£299.94 £249.95
- LinguiSystems Articulation Test Normative Update (LAT-NU)£217.20 £181.00
- PHAB2 Primary Assessment£225.54 £187.95